Ministry of Health
Mental Health Act forms
The Ministry of Health makes all Mental Health Act forms publicly available. The following are especially relevant for learning about, and exercising, your Mental Health Act rights:
- Form 7: Application for Review Panel Hearing
- Form 11: Request for Second Medical Opinion
- Form 13: Notification to Involuntary Patient or Rights under the Mental Health Act
- Form 14: Notification to Patient under Age 16, Admitted by Parent or Guardian, of Rights under the Mental Health Act
The Guide to the Mental Health Act (2005)
The Guide to the Mental Health Act was produced by the Ministry of Health and has some information for patients and their care partners about Mental Health Act rights. This index to the guide may help you find what you are looking for.
Mental Health Act
All of the resources above are based on the legislation:
The Mental Health Review Board
- how to apply for a review panel hearing,
- how to prepare for the hearing,
- how to get help with the hearing,
- what the hearing involves, and
- what happens after the hearing.
The Community Legal Assistance Society
The Community Legal Assistance Society (CLAS) oversees the Mental Health Law Program, which provides legal representation to people who want to challenge their certification at a review panel hearing.
Access Pro Bono
Access Pro Bono’s Mental Health Program Telephone Clinic offers 30 minutes of free legal advice about certification and your Mental Health Act rights. That page also lists other resources you may find helpful.